EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — East Rutherford Memorial Library is launching some animal friendly programs in February.
Starting February 1, the library will launch a pet edition "food for fines" program. As part of the program, the library will accept cat & dog food, as well as other items, in lieu of up to $5 in fines on late materials.
Library Director Christine Hartigan thought it would be a fun way to get people to contribute.
"We can't forget about our furry friends," Hartigan said. "There are a lot of animals that need our help."
The library is accepting:
- Clean sheets, blankets and towels
- Bird cages, rabbit hutches, safari cages, pet carriers
- Scratching posts
- Purina Pro Plan dry dog food, canned Pedigree dog food, dry and canned cat food
- Kitty litter, strained meat baby food (for foster kittens)
- New heating pads (for kittens, puppies and wildlife infants)
- Toilet tissue, paper towels
- Bleach, detergent, cleaning supplies
- Pens, pencils, scissors, tape dispensers, note paper
- Bbatteries (AA and AAA) for microchip scanners
- Coffee cans with plastic lids
- PetCo or PetSmart gift cards
The library's Random Acts Of Kindness Club will also be making dog toys.
Hartigan said at the end of February the library will donate the toys along with all the pet donations to the Bergen County Animal Shelter.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.