A trio of East Rutherford police officers rescued two men from a smoky rooming house fire this morning, Chief Lawrence Minda told CLIFFVIEW PILOT .
Officer Kevin Felten, who is also a third assistant fire chief in town, carried out a man he found hanging from a third-floor window, with burns on his hands and face. He was brought to an area hospital. Two other officers got another man out, while a third fled under his own steam.
The chief said the fire was called in at 9:07 a.m. from Spring Street and Carlton Avenue, above Rocco’s Tavern. Based on witnesses’ statements, it may have been caused by a lit cigarette.
It quickly went to three alarms, but was extinguished within two hours.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.