YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: Smoke alarms got a Lyndhurst family out of their home and a water pipe that burst in the heat acted as a sprinkler, limiting the damage, after what began as a basement electrical socket fire.
“In this case working Smoke detectors truly saved lives,” Lyndhurst Fire Chief Paul Haggerty Jr. told CLIFFVIEW PILOT this morning.
Firefighters from Lyndhurst and North Arlington who responded with police to the 4:23 a.m. Fourth Street alarm were met with heavy smoke at the front door. They quickly doused the flames.
A clothes dryer connected to the socket with an extension cord apparently was the cause, authorities said.
North Arlington’s F.A.S.T. team responded, while Rutherford had a pumper on standby.
“Damage to the residence could have been much worse if not for the fact that the intense heat caused a copper water pipe to separate, burst and almost act as a sprinkler, helping to keep the fire at-bay prior to fire department arrival,” Police Capt. John Valente said this morning.
“All the residents of the one family home were evacuated safely and will be temporarily housed with family members” while contractors repaired the utilities, he said. “No injuries were reported.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.